New Liquid System for Diamond Shine “Cleans Up” the Competition
Diamond Shine, the premier chemical car wash supplier in the US, utilized a car wash solution centered around 55-gallon drums filled with cleaning solutions. As one drum would empty, it would be replaced with a fresh drum of chemical cleaner. The process suffered from several issues:
- The 55-gallon drums could run out of solution without warning as there was no easy way to measure remaining solution
- Changing the drums involved a degree of risk as the full drums weighed enough to cause back strain
- The system was incredibly unsightly and created a slippery working area
Pipeline Packaging was brought in to help re-concept a system that would allow measuring chemical usage, be more cost effective to transport and swap as well as reduce spills to create a safer work space.
With Diamond Shine, Pipeline developed a solution involving two parts:
- A custom designed holding tank including a fluid level
indicator and lid that fits and pierces the foil lining of a…
- Standard 2.5-gallon F-Style container with the cleaning fluid concentrate
The holding tank is a permanent fixture that clearly indicates current fluid levels. When low, the now empty 2.5-gallon container of proprietary cleaning fluid is easily removed and a new one inserted into the lid, allowing it to cleanly drain into the tank.
Diamond Shine’s “Bullseye” packaging solution effectively provides a cleaner, safer work
environment. Spillage (and slippage) is minimized and moving full 55-gallon drums has been replaced with the weight of a 2.5-gallon package. Seeing fluid levels in the holding tank allows for proactive refilling (preventing car wash shut down) and a better ability to measure product usage.
The company is now looking to market Bullseye to other car wash networks. Additionally, the design won the 2016 NACD Silver Award in Household Chemical & Auto for an exception design that reduces shipping costs, provides easier storage and more accurate mixing and measuring for safer usage.